Thursday, August 27, 2009

Touching Story

If you have a minute, please check out this blog: http://mkwiersma.blogspot.com/

This poor family has been through so much. And talk about a small world. I initially heard about them through a coworker a couple weeks ago. Then today I was talking with another coworker about running and she told me how there is a 5K that I should do in a couple weeks as a fundraiser for this family, and it turned out to be the same one! I was looking through the brochure and decided to look at their blog and realized that I had read it before. A bunch of us in the office decided that we were going to do this 5K and then the word got out. It turns out a bunch of other people in the office know the family as well, but didn't know about the others who knew them. Such a small world.....

Anyways, back to the Wiersma family. Kate ended up going into labor sometime between 21-22 weeks. The doctors tried to stop it but after being on the meds for a while I guess she got very ill and then they didn't know if she would even make it. They ended up delivering the babies after 23 weeks. Maxwell and Wesley have several medical issues, and are still in the NICU at Spectrum Health. Three weeks after they were born Kate's mother passed away. I do not know many details but she had some sort of cancer. Shortly after that, Kate's father lost his job, and now Kate and Mark are possibly losing their house. It is such a sad story, I guess it just really gets to me. All they wanted was to have children and become a family. Twins...what a joy! And now all of this has happened, my heart just really goes out to them. It just goes to show that you never know what will happen with a pregnancy, and now they are going to have so many doctors bills (especially since there are two babies.) I just could not imagine. They pretty much need any sort of financial help that they can get.

To help them out, we are running in the 2nd Annual Quest for the Cure. It is on Saturday, September 12, 2009. If anyone would like to make a donation, or pledge for my run, that would be amazing! You can also donate online at: www.quest4cure.org. I know that my small contribution will probably not make that huge of an impact on their lives, but every little bit helps.

1 comment:

Nlvaden said...

I am actually taking the class at borgess health and fitness. Most of the hospitals have them at a very reasonable as far as price.